We’ve received a number of compliments on our quarterly e-newsletter, which is a way for us to directly share some of the news and expert content we produce on our blog with our contacts. When designing it, I used these helpful tips from the experts at Emma.com:
- 80% of people will delete an email if it doesn’t look good on a smart phone. So either design for a mobile device (arranging in a single column) or use a responsive template.
- USE IMAGES: Our brains process images 60,000 times faster than text.
- People love and react to images of faces.
- Design for scanning. People don’t read much anymore.
- Use at least a 16px font size.
- Use buttons instead of text links.
- The most clickable/attractive buttons use copy that is short and specific (but DO NOT use “Click Here”).
- The color red increases energy and urgency.
- Buttons should be at least 44 px square (size of a fingertip).
- Use creative/active/short subject lines (and keep in mind iPhones cut off subjects after 32 characters).